Stay! Or don't...

For fresh fruit, go to mattipaasio.com

9.6.2013

Even God Don't Forgive around Here


An old friend of mine, which I haven't heard from in years, called today, saying I shouldn't be making the kind of videos I do. #Bosnia #LM
He wouldn't elaborate on whom exactly it is that I'm offending. The public, he insisted. I don't know how each individual is going to take it, he said.

I hung up. Had he said the victims of the war in Croatia, for instance, I would have removed the videos from YouTube immediately.


Bad arguing brings worse results.




The credits. I sat for a while, slightly puzzled, and got up. As the audience filed slowly out of the theater, I overheard a woman saying to her spouse – he wasn’t a date, the relationship was permanent, I could tell from her tone – something to the effect of,

“Haven’t seen anything that lousy in a while.”

I got angry. The remark reflected all too well who we were, and where. We were in Finland, and we were safe. A luxury that wasn’t anywhere near the grasp of the characters in the film we had just witnessed, Only God Forgives, or it’s makers.

Making a movie means giving something of yourself, taking a risk, and that kind of behavior is frowned upon around here.

The film had its flaws alright. It was lacking in the energy of the former masterpieces of the director, Nicolas Winding Refn. It was lazy, at times. Too many dream sequences. Too many scenes depicting somebody walking. Too violent. Not violent enough, in the end, in my opinion, but I’m a bit ill in head. Still, as the next day arrived, I started seeing more and more similarities in the Crazy Dane’s latest effort and the most recent book of my literary superhero, Brian Allen Carr (Edie & the Low-Hung Hands). And lo, I became a fanatic for the movie.


Exterminate All the Brutes Who Do Not Believe in Nicolas Winding Refn or Brian Allen Carr!!!


Thus, one non-alcoholic beer only.

[I sent this "sample" to movieboozer.com where movies are rated by how many beers do you need to get through them.]

If Aki Kaurismäki, the only Finnish director known outside of this country, were interested in reality, Only God Forgives might fit in as a fresh start for his ongoing Workers' Saga. The empty posturing at times reminded of him.


Still, Winding Refn had achieved a balance between the posturing and senseless violence. Kaurismäki ought to take a hint.


I want to change my testimony,




NO BEERS AT ALL.

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti