Stay! Or don't...

For fresh fruit, go to mattipaasio.com

10.10.2014

Iguala and Ilovaisk


Came across another story of senseless brutality. This time, it did not bear the signature of ISIS. No video footage available of it either, I'm afraid.

The incident in question is quite characteristic of a certain group who could easily discard the al-Baghdadi bunch as a ragtag of freaks, losers and copycats. These guys were decapitating and skinning people, gouging the victims' eyes out, et cetera, way back when it was Saddam Hussein who had the monopoly of the trade in Iraq.

I'm not talking about the Chechens (yet), but the mighty drug cartels of Mexico.



Before I had finished reading the article, I jotted in my notebook, "Tlatelolco replaced by Iguala."


And lo and behold! When I reached the end of the story, I found out that the students who got butchered by the cartels and the police in Iguala were on their way to a memorial protest of the 1968 Tlatelolco Massacre in Mexico City.


My head started spinning...


I was hanging by my feet from a trapeze, Roberto Bolaño from another, and he was swinging toward me, yelling, "Don't be a pussy! Just let go!"




"Madness, as we both know, is like gravity..."

From down below, the bellows of the ringmaster, Slavoj Žižek, confirmed my worst fears -- this was nothing but global capitalism for beginners, and he was going to flunk us for sure, unless we realized this instant that the only road of liberation was via a spaceship, on board of which we could climb in one precise manner: by having a drink of Kool-Aid seasoned with 
chloral hydrate and cyanide.

Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it.


Please.


Those who do not remember the past...


ENOUGH!


Thank Jesus for the safety net, and Pacman for bringing my mind back to the fact that it existed.


The cheap thrills I took from reading the story, written by Ioan Grillo (whose meticulous book El Narco: The Bloody Rise of Mexican Drug Cartels I own, but am afraid will never finish; I'll be stuck on page 214 forever), were the easy comparisons to be made between the brutal regime of "the narcos" and that of Vladimir Putin.


The text describes the city of Iguala, but applies easily to an entire country sharing a very long border with what I still consider my homeland.


Russia, like Iguala, is "controlled by gangsters responding to public disorder with mass murder."

For the following, no guidance is required:

Being ruled by corrupt and self-interested politicians can be bad. But imagine being ruled by sociopathic gangsters. They respond to rowdy students in the only way they understand: with extreme violence designed to cause terror.

As a postscript and a key, here's what I wrote on Nadya Tolokonnikova's Facebook page last night or this morning, 11 October, 2014:
Just finished your book. You were brilliant! Sadly, the same can't be said about Žižek.... His stuff was very educating, in a sence... 

The babblings of Žižek's reminds one of a suicide cult called Heavens Gate. Which is what this song is all about:



Meanwhile, in a parallel universe...



Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti